Lithium ion batteries are considered as the wave of new technology in the industrial world.
It has spread fast and has become a significant innovation in the material handling world and is warmly welcomed across the globe.
The success of lithium batteries lies in their efficient power storage and productivity. These flexible battery have low charging time and longer lifespan with low maintenance, portability, lightweight and high specific power storage and the list goes on.
THE PROS AND CONS OF LITHIUM ION BATTERIES
Every new advancement and invention has its shortcomings too. Here we are going to take a look at the pros and cons of using these remarkable batteries with battery cross reference. The benefits are numerous and unparalleled but still there are some drawbacks that need to be considered as well. As a tech savvy, it is important to know the unfavourable features for their practical applications.
- Minimum Maintenance – Lithium ion batteries don’t need water hence, making them zero or low maintenance batteries as compared to other batteries such as lead-acid.
- Space facility – Because it has a minimum maintenance feature, it offers reduced watering space and personal time and labor.
- Faster Charging – lithium batteries have faster charging rate than lead-acid batteries.
- Longer Run Time – These flexible batteries do not need to charge frequently after every use.
- Longer Life – They have double the life than that of lead-acid batteries.
- Reduced Energy Use – Lithium ion batteries need less power to charge therefore has minimum usage of energy and less cost.
- Cost – Lithium ion batteries have higher cost than lead-acid batteries.
- Require Inspection – Lithium ion batteries despite their low maintenance requires inspection of its cables and terminals after a period of time.
- End of Life – Lithium ion batteries unlike lead-acid batteries are not usually recycled. Only 5% of lithium batteries can be recycled whereas 99% of lead-acid batteries are recycled.
Before you purchase a battery of any type, make sure you know the benefits and drawbacks of the product. You can seek expertise from the relevant people or the experts to know what are your limitations, your preferences,and needs before you start using these new tech batteries to advance your facility. There is no doubt that lithium ion batteries possess several unique features that can boost significantly in efficiency and productivity of your application or equipment.