When we plan to buy a pet dog at home, there are a lot of questions that strike our mind, including what to feed, vaccination schedules, grooming parts etc. However, it becomes more challenging when it comes to feeding your dog. We as human beings often feel allergic to a certain kind of food that we have to stop consuming ultimately. The same is in the case of a dog, where he may also have an allergic reaction to certain kinds of food items which can be extremely dangerous too.
However, you should also know what you should feed your dogs. In this context, you can fulfill all your pet dog supplies from PETstock Australia, a one-stop-shop dealing in a wide variety of food items for your dogs, including pedigree and various other food items. This will also help your dog stay away from allergies and consume the right food.
On the other hand, we have also listed below five food items that your pet may be allergic to and should also be avoided at all costs. Let us have a look at each of them:-
Xylitol is among the first and foremost food items that your pet may be allergic to. Gum, toothpaste, candy, baked goods, and other diet foods are often sweetened with xylitol. Consuming xylitol can make your dog’s blood sugar drop and can also cause liver failure, which may ultimately get your dog seizures. Also, remember that liver failure can take place within a few days only.
Excessive consumption of alcohol can considerably affect a human’s brain, which has the same effect on a dog’s brain and liver too. However, even a small quantity of alcohol, including beer, wine, or liquor, is enough to hurt your dog to a considerable extent. It can also cause vomiting, coordination issues, diarrhoea, breathing issues, coma and even death. Always remember, the lesser the age of your dog will be, the higher the risk and damage to your dog will be.
- Onion and Garlic.
For a few people, onion and garlic is something that they love to have the most, but when it comes to dogs, these vegetables tend to have a bad effect on their health and may also cause allergic reactions. There is a strict recommendation to keep raw, powdered, cooked or dehydrated onion and garlic away from your dog.
Whether it’s about onions or garlic, they both can kill red blood cells, which ultimately cause anaemia in dogs. Some of the most common signs of poisoning among dogs through consuming these vegetables are weakness, breathing problems, vomiting, etc.
- Grapes and raisins.
Though both of these items may sound cool and tasty, always remember these are not so when it comes to dogs. Consumption of grapes and raisins can easily cause kidney failure among dogs. It is a food item that your pets are easily allergic to. Even a small quantity of consumption of these items can make your dog fall ill.
If you notice any signs of your dog vomiting, again and again, consider it an early sign. Apart from this, you will also find your dog feeling depressed and sluggish within a day or two just after consuming grapes and raisins.
- Milk and other dairy products
Last but not least, milk and a few other dairy products tend to be allergic when consumed by your dog. However, instead of treating your little pup with ice cream on a hot summer day, give him some cold water, as it will also keep your dog hydrated and safe. Diarrhoea and a few digestive problems can occur if you make your dog consume milk and milk-based products too often.
So, it is a sure thing if your dog consumes milk-based dairy products; he will likely suffer from allergies which can ultimately make your dog itch.
So, with the help of the above guide, you have a list of a few food items that can be harmful or dangerous for your dog if consumed even in a small quantity. So, think twice before you feed anything to your loving dog.