Pressure cookers have been a staple in Indian homes for many years because of their versatility and efficiency. They are a popular kitchen tool for professional chefs and home cooks alike. These pressure cookers are made from various materials, but kitchens these days are seeing a stainless steel revolution, and most utensils, including pressure cookers, are made of stainless steel. If you too are looking for ways to prepare meals that are nutritious as well as flavorful easily and quickly, having a pressure cooker is a must. But how do you pick the best among the many types? Read below to learn about the uses, features, benefits, and more of a stainless steel pressure cooker.
How does a Pressure Cooker Work?
A pressure cooker is a cooking appliance that uses the steam generated inside the utensil to cook food. The liquid is filled inside the cooker in a sealed environment, and when the water inside begins to boil on the stove, it creates steam. As the buildup of steam increases, the temperature and pressure in the pot increase, which helps cook food faster. Pressure cookers are designed to withstand high temperatures and pressure. The lid and the rubber valve are the most important components to prevent steam from going out. The pressure valve is another component that helps optimise the pressure. When you buy good quality pressure cookers, they can last many years and are a good investment.
Benefits of a Steel Pressure Cooker
There are several advantages to steel pressure cookers over other traditional cooking options. Some of them are listed below:
- A faster cooking time when compared to other types of cooking. The high temperature and pressure cooks even hard-to-cook items quickly and make them flavorful and tender.
- Energy-efficient as it consumes less energy than other cooking methods which saves your utility bills. They generate less heat and are suitable for hot Indian summer months.
- The sealed pressure cooker retains all the flavours and nutrients. So your food is more flavorful and nutritious without having to spend too much effort while cooking.
- Pressure cookers are versatile appliances and can cook a wide variety of foods like grains, lentils, vegetables, meat, etc.
- They come with many safety features like locking lids, pressure release valves, and more for the safety of the appliance and the user.
- The stainless steel pressure cookers are easy to maintain and clean. They are dishwasher safe and rust-resistant making them durable.
Features to look for when Purchasing a Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker
- Size: They come in many sizes from small to big. Consider your family size and the food quantity you cook to determine the size.
- Pressure valve: Look for mechanisms that have a good pressure release mechanism. There is a pressure valve in most cookers which releases when food is cooked inside.
- Safety features: Look for safety features like locking lids, pressure indicators, etc to prevent accidents.
- Durability: Ensure that the product you purchase is made from high-quality steel that is long-lasting and durable.
- Easy to use: Look for a design that is easy to use and operate. It helps to prepare meals efficiently and quickly.
Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker: Uses
This is an appliance that can be used for a wide variety of Indian cooking. Specifically, it can be used for:
- Cooking legumes and lentils are a staple in Indian meals. It quickly softens the legumes in less time.
- Making biryanis and rice: Rice is a staple dish and cooking it in a pressure cooker is the easiest way to make fluffy rice. You can also make flavorful pulao and biryanis as the pressure cooker infuses the flavours and the spices into the rice.
- Steaming veggies: Many Indian dishes use steamed vegetables. Pressure cookers can steam them and also lock the nutrition. It can also be used to steam idlis and dhoklas.
- Stews, soups and meat curries: There are a variety of other cuisines that can be prepared which include sambar, dal, meat curries, soups, etc without sacrificing the texture or flavour.
When buying a pressure cooker, consider your preferences and needs. Also, ensure that it has the features you need so that you can make food easily and quickly.