Technology has continued to transform almost every aspect of our lives including home security. In recent years, smart locks have continued to replace traditional locks. Smart locks seem to be more secure because they can be linked to smartphones and CCTVs.
Table of Contents
Traditional locks refer to typical locks that have been in use for many years. The ones you see at every door. These locks come with physical keys used to open them. There are different types of traditional locks but what distinguishes them from smart locks is the fact that they are operated manually.
The most common type of traditional lock is the pin-tumbler lock. They can be secure as long as they are used in the right way. Some of the factors that affect their effectiveness include:
- The frequency of use
- Where the lock is placed
- Whether it is the only lock
Traditional locks are perfect additions to your home provided you have the right one. Besides, you can always enhance traditional locks with more additions.
Smart locks refer to locks that are controlled by phones or other devices like fobs. The locks use either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi instead of a physical key to open the door. Similar to traditional locks, there are different types of smart locks available in the market.
How Secure Are Smart Locks?
There’s a general perception that smart locks are much more secure compared to traditional locks. This is because of the security features that come with them. For example, you can connect them to your mobile phone and CCTV. Some smart locks also use fingerprints to open. This means only you and those who are configured to the locks can open it.
Smart Vs Traditional
Traditional locks are still used by many homeowners. They have existed for many years and would probably continue to exist for many more to come. However, the past few years have seen a rapid increase in the use of smart locks. This is probably because of the many security features that come with smart locks.
Some of the reasons why people prefer smart locks include:
- Convenience: With a smart lock, you can give someone access to your home even when you are miles away.
- Extra Security: Smart locks have more security features compared to traditional locks. For example, some locks use fingerprints meaning no one can enter or access your home without your permission.
- Versatility and Control: As far as versatility and control are concerned, smart locks top the list. Some have fingerprint scanners while some have sensors.
- You can also use a keypad, key tag or a mobile phone to control the locking and unlocking process.
In a nutshell, both traditional and smart locks are great options when it comes to securing your home. It would be a good idea to talk to a residential locksmith to recommend or purchase locks that will best protect your home.