Can you learn two languages at once? What are the problems faced by those who want to learn multiple languages? Where to find the time and motivation to learn? What will you need in the process of studying languages? How to avoid confusion? Let’s consider the ins and outs of learning two or more languages.
Why learn two languages at once?
It’s no secret that learning a language stimulates the brain. And learning two languages at the same time increases this stimulation, as well as encouraging the development of the skill to switch from one language to another. This helps in the effective application of the learned material and develops the ability to speak freely. Learning a foreign language is an acquired skill that can be infinitely improved and developed.
In fact, once we have mastered or become relatively good at communicating in a new language, we feel more confident. So, we are ready to learn a third, fourth, and fifth language. But is learning two languages at the same time possible?
What do you need to become bilingual?
Having decided to become a polyglot, you will need improvised material. Namely:
- An explanatory dictionary.
- Grammar books.
- Listening materials.
- Literature in a language you want to study.
- Motivation and good humor.
Learning more than one language – how not to mess
Many people are afraid to take up the study of several foreign languages because they assume that there will be confusion in their heads. This will not happen if the languages are not from the same group. For example, it is less likely that you will abandon the “French-Japanese” option than the “English-Spanish” option.
Another problem that plagues newly minted polyglots is procrastination. In general, this problem is especially common among students when writing any kind of student’s paper. Below you will find, among other things, tips for overcoming procrastination. Well, if the latter still overpowers you and the deadline is tight, get the benefit of a cheap paper writing service. This way you can fill the gaps in knowledge and get help with your studies.
Effective methods for learning two languages at once
Here are some effective methods for learning languages:
- Use dictionaries to boost learning. If you decide to learn two languages, buy a bilingual dictionary. For example, if you’re learning French and Chinese, buy the appropriate manual. Finding something like that in a bookstore is difficult, but you can order it online. This option is for those who have an intermediate level of one of the languages.
- Learning should be comprehensive. Textbooks alone are not enough. Listen to audiotapes, songs in the language you are learning, buy a book, and read it aloud. An excellent way to study is to watch movies or TV shows in the target language. Activate all areas of perception – listening, speaking, vocabulary, reading.
- Try not to use your native language when learning a foreign one.
- Make an individual schedule. Some people find it easier to study on the principle of “one day, one language”, while others alternate learning two languages for one day. Try both options and choose what suits you personally. Some life hacks will be useful in both cases:
- – be regular. It is better to have short classes, but regularly, than long ones once a month;
- – take a break between two languages-from a few hours to a couple of days.
- – do not try to cover everything at once – it is better to pass less material, but qualitatively.
Tips from experienced polyglots
A little bit about how to make learning several foreign languages easier.
- You should never start learning two languages from scratch. Start the second language when the first one is at an intermediate level.
- Keep a language journal. This is a good tool to help you plan your goals. You should decide in advance which results you want to achieve within a month, six months, or a year. You can record in a diary all your achievements in the learning process, as well as set goals for the future.
- Be sure to alternate languages. It is not necessary to study two or more languages at once in one day. Between them, you should take a break for a day or two.
- Allow yourself to rest. It is advisable to plan classes in such a way that you have a day or two to rest. Productivity increases markedly if you remove mental stress.
- Keep yourself motivated. A language diary will also help you with this. Remind yourself of your goals more often: this will help you not get stuck halfway.
Where to find motivation?
Every foreign language has its own culture, which is unique in itself. Thus, learning a foreign language allows one to explore its culture, which includes myths, rules, principles, and more. Language does not exist without culture. Culture is like the soul of a language, which is why many countries make efforts to protect endangered languages.
Learning a new language has two advantages. First, one can approach new horizons. Second – one becomes able to create one’s own identity, which leads to a strengthening of self-confidence. In addition, this approach helps to enrich personality. The eagerness and passion to learn new languages gradually grow among people when they realize their vitality.
We can easily communicate and integrate with the local region if we know the local language when we emigrate to that country or region. Learning helps us to improve our relationships with the local people in any other country. We ourselves take a great interest in understanding their feelings, emotions, and way of life.
We know that communication is a very important tool in companies to perform tasks properly. For example, if an individual working in a company is fluent in foreign languages, then he will be able to communicate well with foreigners, it is quite easy to solve problems. In addition, a person’s chances of getting a job increase due to knowledge of foreign languages. As well as the chances of transferring to foreign countries.
People usually believe that almost everyone in the world speaks English. But this is not the case. However, English is the official language spoken by most people. For example, if a person wants to go on a tour to China, and he only has knowledge of Hindi and English, then it will be difficult for him to communicate with people from China until he hires a linguist.