What Makes a Good Beginning for an Admission Essay.
After filling in admission forms and passing all tests many future students experience difficulty with writing an admission essay. Unfortunately, not all young people who are about to write an admission essay for a college understand that this kind of essay is different from those they have written at high school. It’s not about the type of essay you are to write (narrative, persuasive, cause and effect essay, etc.), it’s about the aim of it. The essays you wrote at school showed the way you had researched and understood the topic. Your teachers also evaluated your logic and the way you can express your ideas, provide arguments and support them with the proper proof. An admission essay along with the above-mentioned tasks should also show the personality of the future student. And this aim is the most important. The structure of your essay should be traditional – an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. You can also choose any style you want for your essay. But you need to remember that members of the admission commission read dozens of admission essays daily. And so, you need to do your best to make your essay the one that comes out of the bulk of others. This consideration makes the beginning of your essay the most important part of it. It should make the admission officer get interested and continue reading your essay. How can you make your essay beginning catching?
Ways to Make the Beginning of your Admission Essay Special.
The first thing you need to do when writing an admission essay is to read the assignment very attentively. Don’t forget that the way you follow the requirements of the assignment also says a lot about you. So, you need to answer exactly the question you have been asked, watch the margins and the paragraphs and write no more words than required. If you haven’t got any ideas on how to begin your essay, still start writing. You will be able to change your writing later. But what beginning might attract the attention of the member of the admission committee who will read your essay? Blogger Kim Davis from professional writer service thinks that there are ways to make your essay beginning special. Let’s consider some ideas.
- Try to be yourself in your writing. The readers are interested in hearing your voice, seeing your personality. So, avoid writing about general truth and cliché. For example, a sentence about the necessity to protect nature definitely won’t attract attention. The admission committee wants to hear your ideas, don’t feel shy about expressing them.
- Start your essay with a twist. For example, you can start with describing your hobbies, but then all of a sudden tell that all this doesn’t actually describe your personality. The real you are about…..
- You can start with revealing a secret or an unusual fact about yourself. And then explain how that your secret or fact is connected with your personality or your plans as for studying at the college you are applying at.
- You might start with some description that should be connected with the topic of your essay. But remember that if you are describing something, you should create a picture in your writing. Instead of writing that the weather was fine, write about the colors you see, describe how you feel the sun, say what sounds you hear, and what you can smell.
- Start with an unusual paradoxical fact that has impressed you and probably has somehow changed your life or attitudes. Of course, you need to explain how that fact is connected with you.
- It might be good to start with a philosophical question or a quote. The trick is in making a connection of that question or a quote with the topic of your essay and your personality.
It might be really difficult to write an admission essay that stands out. Still, a good beginning might make the first step in distinguishing your essay from the others. You can use the ideas described above to make the beginning of your essay awesome and the one that makes the reader interested in reading it to the end.