What does the Mass Communication course entail?
Mass media & communication course entails providing competencies to students about analyzing, creating, and sending convincing messages to a large set of target audience employing varied media vehicles such as print, radio, digital as well as television. Furthermore, the student is not only taught about the importance of target audience, ways to create targeted communication, and division of media basis the target audience along with critically analyzing media so as to comprehend the moral as well as political impact the media can have on the world. In addition, he is not only given knowledge about ways to identify the story and uncover the truth, but also how to package it in order to garner maximum interest.
Being multi-disciplinary, it comprises media-related careers like Journalism, Media Marketing, Radio Programming, Advertising, TV /Radio/Digital Content Production, Public Relations, Event Management, Digital Communications, Graphic Designing, and Broadcast Media in addition to Marketing, business, and management, international relations, etc. It also imparts to students, understanding of ways to sharpen their writing & communication skills, to defend as well as voice their opinions, their point of view.
- Indian media and entertainment industry is estimated to rise to Rs 2,660.20 billion by FY 2023.
- In 2021, per day average media consumption has reached 5 hrs 40 min. This will see further rise owing to digital consumption being in its nascent stages.
- India’s media and entertainment (ME) sector will grow the fastest vis-e-vis globally in terms of both consumer and advertising spending and reach Rs 4 lakh crore (approx.) at a CAGR of 10.75% by 2025. Source: PwC report.
- Lots of MNCs are competing to tap the huge demand and capture the maximum market share in India. They will be building brands and communicating with the masses using various media vehicles. Hence will generate huge demand.
Hence the students completing PG in mass communication will only benefit since they will have loads of opportunities to pursue across varied fields. A few of the available career options are:
- Content Writing: Various online platforms hire creative content writers. Depending on your writing talent as well as your interest, you could be a news writer or sports writer, cover political news, etc. You can even write branded content for various corporate or become an influencer and write about a particular product or field.
- Public Relations: Besides being good in writing, if you have excellent networking as well as communication skills in addition to having an outgoing personality, then Public Relations is the field to be in. Corporate needs talented and well-spoken PR personnel to not only represent their company and be their spokesperson but also enhance their brand image. Furthermore, you are also required to write press releases and address the media.
- Advertising: Given the competitive scenario, lots of companies are competing to corner market share. They employ agencies to come up with innovative creative strategies to build brands, position products distinctly, communicate appropriate product messaging to people through ads and thus build a preference for that product among people. Advertising thus seeks lots of creative minds.
- Digital & Social Media Marketing: The Pandemic has hastened the adoption of digital media so much so that if you are not online then you do not exist. In fact, the time spent online has gone up owing to the penetration of smartphones. Thus this has provided organizations with new media vehicles to connect with their target audience. PG in Mass Communication offers you competencies in Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Content Marketing, Email Marketing, Inbound Marketing, and Web analytics.
For a bright future, look no further and just do your master’s in mass communication without any second thoughts.