Engineering is one of the most sought-after streams among students in India, and for a good reason. The spirit of innovation and creation fostered by the discipline backed by science makes it so appealing. The discipline is not restricted to one field but has multidisciplinary applications in all its subfields, including Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, Civil and of course, Information Technology. There are many interdisciplinary sub-fields of engineering like Biomechanical or BioInformatics that attract students. Then there are the specialized fields like Aeronautical and Marine Engineering. Thus, all the top engineering colleges In India see an increasing number of applications every year.
All these are reasons for so many aspirants seeking admissions in different engineering colleges in the country and appearing for various engineering entrance examinations. The government institutes like the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) are definitely the top engineering colleges In India and hence the preferred choice, but there are numerous private engineering colleges that impart equal if not better education.
Every year, National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF) releases a ranking of all the engineering colleges in the country. Here is a list of the top 5 private engineering colleges in India based on the NIRF ranking 2021.
- Vellore Institute of Technology – Ranked 12th in the overall list, VIT tops the list when looking for top 5 private engineering colleges in India. Located in the city of Vellore in Tamil Nadu, it is a private deemed university. Established under the aegis of UGC, it has been one of the top engineering colleges in India consistently over a long period of time. The first private institute to have won the ARIIA 2019 Award from the Government of India, the institute is known for its faculties, facilities and industry interactions, providing a great learning experience to its students.
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham – Next on the list of top 5 private engineering colleges in India based on the NIRF 2021 rankings is the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham located in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. A multidisciplinary institution, accredited “A++” by NAAC, this institute is very popular among engineering aspirants. International collaborations, industry interactions, renowned faculty and a fully equipped campus with stress on overall growth is what makes this institute so sought-after by aspirants.
- Thapar Institute of Technology – Located in the city of Patiala in Punjab, Thapar Institute of Technology is one of the oldest and top engineering colleges in India. It has been a constant in the different lists of the top 5 private engineering colleges in India, including the one by NIRF. With a sprawling campus spanning 250 acres, the institute has an “A+” accreditation by NAAC. Apart from the curriculum, the emphasis on research and innovation is what makes this so popular among students looking for engineering education.
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani – Undoubtedly one of the top engineering colleges in India, BITS Pilani, as it is popularly known, features very high on every engineering aspirant’s list. The expansive campus, entrepreneurship experience, renowned faculty, peer interaction and the facilities and labs available on campus make this one of the top 5 private engineering colleges in India.
- Amity University – Another well-known name in any list of the top engineering colleges in India, Amity University headquartered in Noida is a college every engineering aspirant wishes to join. There are multiple reasons for this – reputed faculty, state of the art campus, emphasis on overall development, not just professional growth and a supportive and growing alumni base. All these factors come together to put Amity University in the list of top 5 private engineering colleges in India. Whether it is the learning or the industry exposure, the students receive both in great amounts, leading to their holistic growth and development.