IMO stands for a mathematical world championship exam called International Mathematical Olympiad. It is meant for every high school student. The IMO Mathematics Olympiad for class 8 is conducted every year just like any other competitive exam. Students can prepare for the exam once they know all the concepts and solutions related to every problem. After they have prepared the concepts and solutions of mathematics, they can take the mock tests, solve as many sample papers as possible and practice as many previous years’ question papers as possible.
There are few steps to keep in mind while preparing for the IMO examination.
- Students need to stay updated with the syllabus using google facility and understand the seriousness of the competition.
- They should trust only the official sites in such matters.
- One should make a timetable or schedule before starting with the preparation.
- Students should get an early start to go hand in hand with the intensity of these competitive examinations. This means one should start studying at least two months in advance. This will allow the students to create a timetable that is organised with both breaks and study hours. Also, one needs to give enough time to delve into every concept.
- One must gather the right study materials required for the preparation.
- Students should check their progress through regular revision. It is an extremely important part of studying for the Maths Olympiad. While studying, one must take notes. Also, one must watch out for common mistakes that they often make such as usage of positive/negative signs, brackets, decimal points etc.
- Studying Smart is a pro tip for the students. Apart from studying, students should set aside time to solve sample papers and attempt mock tests that will help to assess their progress. Practice plays the key role in preparing for any mathematics exam. But studying smart is just as important as studying hard. Therefore, students should identify the patterns in the sample papers and use that for the best advantage. Another hack is to try finding easier ways to solve problems rather than taking the long integrated path leading to several pages of calculations.
- It is equally important to identify one’s strengths and weaknesses. If any student finds certain topics more difficult, then they must spend more time on those topics. Usually students tend to get scared of topics that they are not comfortable with and often ignore them. But the best method is to take it as a challenge, give more time to it, try to understand its concepts and finally master it.
- Picking the right spot to study is another important factor. A quiet and calm place to study is always preferred by the students for better concentration. One must choose a place where they will get the least amount of distractractions.
- It is essential to keep the mind in a healthy state and also the body in a very active state. Taking small walks in the evening away from your study room is suggested. frequently and take a break from studying. This is extremely important as it is easy to keep your body active. A bit of good exercise, healthy food and short breaks will not just reduce laziness, it will also help to concentrate and focus better.
- Another most important point to keep in mind is to not just be prepared academically but also be prepared with the right attitude. A positive approach is extremely necessary to build the confidence to win. Solving the problems at the IMO level needs a different and high thinking mindset. One must give time to themselves and work up to build that positive attitude.
- Students must not stress out during their preparation. Stress will make them forget whatever they have studied. Stress can also result in a mental breakdown.
Best study materials for preparation
One must choose the right study materials for clearing a tough exam like IMO.
Below are listed some of the most effective materials one can go for
- Sample question papers
These are one of the best materials to rely on when it comes about preparation for the class 8 IMO examination. Practicing these papers will not only give an idea about the questions that might be asked but also ensures that the students learn about the format of the question paper which will help them to build their own strategy to answer the questions. They will learn the concept of time management too. Time management is a real problem when it comes to any competitive exam.
- Previous year’s question papers
Students must practice lots and lots of question papers from the previous years. At least 5-6 papers are recommended to be solved. This will help the students to know what type of questions might be asked. Solving these papers will automatically build confidence in the students. The IMO Class 8 2013 Question Paper is available to download here.
- Sample workbooks
Sample WorkBooks also proves to be an useful asset during the process of preparation. The ITO provides a chance for all parents, teachers and Olympiad applicants to take a look at the workbooks handed by the association. It allows all the interested students in buying these books to take a look at the type of the questions. Thus, students can make a decision after they look at the sample workbook.
- Online Olympiad test
The online test series contains questions that can help the students to witness the examination-suchlike script. Trying online tests with time limits can help students to know the format of the paper along with the correct way to approach it. It will help in time operation along with adding speed and delicacy while answering. It will also contribute a lot in boosting up the confidence of the students.
The process of preparation for the International Mathematics Olympiad for class 8 is a benefit for the students in the long run. This is because the preparation they do, not only helps them to win the Olympiad exam, but also to score good marks in their school exams as well.
Therefore, one must put an effort to it and it must be constant throughout the preparation.