Updating and deleting apps applications is often necessary when dealing with errors related to applications on smartphones, for example, when an application unexpectedly starts working or does not work as intended.
Uninstalling apps also helps free up space in the phone’s internal memory. In iOS devices like iPhone, apps can be deleted in different ways.
You can delete apps in your phone settings, on the home screen, or using iTunes on your computer. If you are new to iOS with iPhone XR and you need help removing unwanted apps, you can refer to any of the steps described below. Read on to learn how to delete apps on an Apple iPhone XR, or other smartphones, or iPad.
However, if you have other problems, please visit our troubleshooting page, as we have already covered some of the most common problems with iPhone devices. For example, since you’re tidying up your phone, try arranging your apps in alphabetical order. Your App Library will be just perfect!
Table of Contents
How to Delete Apps on iPhone from Home Screen
#1 Way Uninstall apps using the editor
To get started, you need to click on the application icon and hold it until it starts to sway. After that, the editing screen will appear. Click on delete app and confirm action.
#2Way Delete apps via icon
Tap and hold the app icon, exactly until the icons start to shake. Then click on the cross and tap delete app.
After you finish deleting apps, click Done in the upper right corner.
By the way, before we go too far. Is there anything wrong with the app you’re about to uninstall? Perhaps you can fix that app with a simple reboot? Check out How to Restart iPhone When Frozen or Untouched Screen. It’s only three minutes to read and five minutes to try!
#3 How to Delete Apps on iPhone from Settings App
Most, if not all system management operations on the iPhone are carried out through the settings menu. The same thing goes with app deletion. Below are the steps to delete apps from your iPhone settings:
- Tap to open the Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap iPhone Storage.
- Select the app you want to delete.
- Tap the option to Offload App or Delete App.
- The Offload App option means that the selected app will be removed but the data and files for that app will be retained. This allows you to restore your data when you reinstall the app on your phone.
- The Delete App option means that the selected app and its related data will be completely erased irretrievably.
#4 Steps to delete third-party apps on iPhone
Downloaded apps or third-party apps that are no longer used can easily be uninstalled from your iPhone home screen. Here’s how it works:
- Lightly touch and hold the app icon from the Home screen until it jiggles. Please note that if you press too firmly on an app, you might open the app’s Quick Actions menu. In that case, simply tap outside of the Quick Actions list and then lightly touch and hold the app icon to exit and then retry.
- Tap the X in the upper-left corner of the app you want to delete/remove apps.
- If prompted, tap Delete to confirm.
- When you’re done deleting apps, tap Done.
#5 Actions to Delete Apps on iPhone Using iTunes on Your Computer
If your iPhone is stuck or unresponsive due to app problems, deleting the app using the above methods won’t be possible. In this case, you will need to use iTunes so you can access your iPhone from the computer and then uninstall or delete rogue any problematic app that’s inflicting trouble.
To get this done, you will need to secure a computer that runs on a compatible operating system with your iPhone and has the latest version of iTunes software installed.
Once you’ve got all things set, you can move on and start.
Deleting apps on your iPhone through iTunes
- Plug your iPhone into your computer via USB or Lightning cable.
- When connected, open iTunes on your computer.
- Select your iPhone XR when it appears in iTunes.
- Click on Apps under the Settings section located on the left side of iTunes screen. You will then see a list of apps on the right side of iTunes screen, with Home screens next to it.
- Double-click on a Home screen from where you can select the app you want to delete.
- Then click on the app to delete. A delete sign (X)will appear on the upper left corner of the app icon.
- Tap on the deleteor X sign to confirm deletion of the app. The app will be deleted quickly.
- When you’re done deleting apps, click on the Apply buttonfrom the bottom of the iTunes screen.
- Connecting iTunes makes sense if you plan to delete multiple apps at once. And do some other things along the way as well.
You can also make sure you have the latest iOS version or reboot your iPhone to clear cache from its internal memory and likewise to refresh the operating system. You can also check how much iPhone storage is taken up by built-in apps and how much by additional ones.
Need to Restore Accidentally Deleted Apps on Your iPhone?
In case you change your mind and would want to use a recently uninstalled/deleted app on your iPhone, you can restore that app with these steps:
- Tap the App Store icon from your Home screen. Doing so will launch the App Store application.
- From the App Store main screen, search for the name of the app you want to restore. Just type in the name of the app. Also make sure that you entered the same exact name of the app.
- Find and select the correct name of the app to restore.
- Then tap the Cloud icon or Get button to restore the app.
- After a few moments, you should see the app icon showing on the Home screen. That denotes that the app is already installed and ready for use again.
If you will end up having trouble deleting apps from your iPhone like when the app won’t be removed or uninstalled, reboot your iPhone the reattempt to delete the application.
For other applicable solutions to app-related issues, you can visit this troubleshooting page to view a list of troubleshooting guides for iPhone including app update or app deletion error.