We are living at a time when the entire world is going online. Big companies, banks, hospitals, schools and even entire government sectors do huge chunks of their work on the internet. Everyday communication has moved online with the help of various social media platforms. Nowadays, we talk online, shop online, pay our bills online, watch movies online and many people even do their jobs online. With so much happening over the internet, the amount of data that is created is huge. And this vast quantities of data is highly useful if it is collected, analyzed and implemented properly. This is the main function of a new branch in the field of computer science called data science. This article looks a bit more into data science as a discipline and the possibilities it offers as a career path.
What is Data Science
The internet has come from being a digital pamphlet to an interactive ecosystem in which we can upload, download, like, share, comment, and thus leave our own footprint in the virtual world. This development in internet also came with a huge requirement for data and analysis of that data. This humongous amount of data known as Big Data cannot be handled by conventional technologies and requires specialized techniques and technology. This is where Data Science comes in. It collects, sorts, analyzes and implements huge amounts of unstructured data. The field of Data Science has seen rapid growth in advancement and requirement since 2010 and its demand is increasing every day across all sectors of the market.
Why should you get a data science degree?
Data science is an inter-disciplinary field that unites machine learning, statistics and data analysis. It draws its theories from various fields like information science, computer science and mathematics. Data scientists have to deal with copious amounts of data. This amount of data cannot be dealt with by human beings without using specialized tools and specialized training. As more and more of the human workload move online, the demand for data scientists keeps on increasing. A data science degree not only trains you on how to use the varied problem-solving tools, but it also prepares you for a life in one of the highest in-demand professions of the 21st century. There are various institutes that offer data sciences courses or cspo certification courses at reasonable prices.
5 traits a candidate in data science should have
- A problem solver: A data scientist collects and analyzes data. But that is not the reason they are paid the big bucks by companies. The main reason a data scientist is in demand is that they use the data they collect to build complex models which solve bigger problems.
- Thinking outside the Box: Many advanced models cannot compute big data so innovation is the need of the hour in this field.
- Creativity: Coming up with simple yet elegant solutions for very hard problems is basically the job description for a data scientist.
- Flexibility: As big companies are always on the headhunt for new and better data scientists, flexibility in work hours and work location is the desired trait.
- Ambitious: Sky is the limit for those who are setting off on this course. Opportunities come thick and fast. A Data Science training degree in Chennai or any other major Indian city can easily get you hired by a GAFA(Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon) company.
Data Science is a new field and it is exclusively a 21st-century phenomenon. The need to analyze data is increasing every day and so is the demand for data science as a discipline. With everything going online, from texting to nation-building the demand for data science and its practitioners will not be waning anytime soon.