If you’re the head of a budding family then finding the ideal family runabout is likely high up on your priority list. Finding the perfect fit can be difficult as is, but when you’ve got more than five humans you have to regularly commute about, regular sedans, crossover, and even SUVs are simply taken out of the equation. Fortunately, there are actually many six-, seven-, and even eight-seater SUVs out there, that are as luxurious, pragmatic, and rich in value as the more conventional vehicles, something that is expressed distinctly in this Lincoln Aviator review. There are, of course, still many aspects to consider when shopping for a good three-row SUV, so here we go over some of the most important factors to consider when evaluating a family SUV, and then list some of the best three-row SUVs that money can buy.
Cardinal Family SUV Qualities
If you’re considering purchasing any new or used family SUV, here are three of the most important considerations you should take into account:
- Specifications – Every family car must come outfitted with a certain selection of creature comforts, conveniences, and safety features. Infotainment is a pertinent factor in a family car, bringing in radio connectivity and smartphone integration in the form of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. There has to be smartphone charging as well, and perhaps an in-car Wi-Fi hotspot feature. Highly adjustable front and even second-row seats are also very advantageous in a family car, allowing occupants to locate optimal seating positions and, in the case where lots of cargo needs to be hauled, various folding configurations.
- Safety levels – Of course, you’ll want your car to be as safe as possible if you’re going to be hauling your family about in it on a regular basis. Fortunately, in the USA, vehicle safety standards are really high and continuously getting more stringent. Consumers are also demanding safer cars these days, and refer to major authorities such as the NHTSA and the IIHS for crashworthiness and safety ratings, something that has now become a competitive factor within the automotive industry. These standards have to be met with comprehensive consignments of advanced driver-assistance systems and safety features, something that has become commonplace in newer car models.
- Spaciousness – The front seats in most crossover SUVs are usually always quite spacious and comfortable, when it comes to the middle or back seat, however, particularly in three-row vehicles, automakers do tend to falter a little. It’s difficult to preserve room in a three-row vehicle, especially those within the smaller size categories, but even so, there are some brands out there that have mastered space utilization. Optioning captain’s chairs into the second-row is massively beneficial in terms of comfort and for ingress and egress to and from the third-row seats. Last but not least, you’ll want to ensure that there is still plenty of cargo space provided within the trunk behind the third-row seats or that those seats are easy to fold down completely or remove.
Five Highly-Rated Three-Row Family SUVs
These are the five best three-row SUVs money can buy in the USA based on the three above-mentioned factors, value for money, and popularity.
- Kia Sorento – The Sorento is a sporty and suave looking SUV that delivers balanced performance, a commodious cabin, and oodles of value in just about every regard. It’s an exceptional all-rounder of a family cruiser.
- Volvo XC90 – When it comes to vehicle safety, it doesn’t get better than what any Volvo can offer, which is why the XC90 is such a sensible choice for the discerning parent most concerned with their family’s safety.
- Lincoln Aviator – The cabin of the Aviator must be very close to what it must be like on cloud nine. It presents occupants with an expanse of room, comfortable seats, and loads of inclusive features.
- Dodge Durango – There are very few family SUVs that are as exhilarating and poised as the Durango, particularly in its SRT Hellcat guise. It’s surprisingly comfortable on the road, too, and more than practical enough for day-to-day tasks.
- Lexus RX – The Lexus RX is a semi-premium SUV that offers family’s a truly luxurious experience at a relatively affordable price for the segment. It’s got handsome good looks, a capable powertrain, and tonnes of inclusive features.
What’s the Best for You
All of these cruisers are proffered in various trims and with various powertrain and seating configurations, not to mention oodles of specification packages and standalone options. What you choose will ultimately come down to your own personal needs and wants, but generally, a more powerful engine configuration is advantageous, especially if you’re going to regularly travel long distances. Second-row captain’s chairs are also attractive options, as they offer so much more comfort and versatility over a regular three-seater bench. With that being said, it’s difficult to not be impressed by just how much our modern SUVs have to offer in general, so you’ll likely just be shopping for whatever gives you what you want at the best possible price.