The use of the word ‘sustainability’ is propagated enough in every realm. But what is sustainability? Sustainability in the true sense of the word is to avoid the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain the ecological balance. To sustain is to continue for a long period of time. Essentially, judicious utilization of resources and making conscious, informed choices is what we refer to as sustainable. Charlotte coworking spaces are also sensitive to incorporating a sustainable way of life. This fundamental way of living is applicable, and promoted, at shared office spaces.
In the current scenario, it is vital to be thoughtful of how we can use natural resources, consciously, and how other resources that are dependent on natural ones can be minimized. Even as professionals, whether our organization is large, medium or small, we all have a responsibility towards safeguarding our environment and not depleting the natural resources mindlessly. And coworking office spaces are no exception. With this vision of reducing the carbon footprint and making the world a better place, we have dug out certain ways that make our coworking not only sustainable but also comfortable, which are as follows:
- Natural Light: Did you know that the electricity consumption in an office contributes to nearly 40% of the total usage? Therefore, the use of natural light becomes pertinent towards making the shared office space more sustainable. The use of daylight is one of the vital ways in which a coworking space in Mumbai can majorly reduce its electricity consumption. This decrease in energy consumption will consequently lead to growth in natural resources whilst also making the coworking spaces sustainable. Simple yet important steps such as switching off the lights when there is no one in the room, play a significant role in conserving the environment. It is important to select a place that has adequate lighting or make a conscious effort to include natural light indoors.
- Go paperless: Office work involves a lot of paperwork. From appointment letters to file work and other important documents, all office documentation is printed on paper. With many companies and individuals operating under one roof, the use of paper is a lot in any coworking space. This leads to a lot of wastage too. Nevertheless, there are times when these printing works cannot be reduced or avoided. For such situations, it is advisable to print on the double side of the sheet or even reuse the printed sheets for rough work. This not only reduces wastage. Another way to reduce paper wastage is to go digital. Going paperless will prevent any extra or unnecessary paper usage.
- Recycle and reuse: We all have heard of the advantages of recycling paper, reducing waste material, and reusing stationery items. This habit is applicable even in shared office spaces. Simple daily habits such as one way of saving water that is drained from the water purifier is to use it for other purposes such as watering plants or mopping. Similar to this, the use of reusable utensils in the office instead of using plastic cutlery and plates is a better way of recycling and making the coworking office space more sustainable.
- Reduce the energy points: Minimizing the use of energy points in the office enhances the sustainable aspect of it. This means that the plugs in the office should be such that when no equipment is used, it must use minimum energy. By curbing the use of energy consumption, coworking spaces can save a lot of power that otherwise contributes to climate change. At the same time, making sure to switch off the lights and reduce air-conditioning when not in use will reduce energy consumption tremendously. Coworking spaces can allot a time to stop air-conditioning so that electricity is not over-consumed.
- Usage of green cleaning products: Going organic is not only our food habits that will make your life healthier but can also be imbibed in the products we use. Coworking space can opt for products that are environmentally friendly and do not harm the environment. These can be cleaning products and odors that are chemical-free and are fairly healthier.
These steps may appear small but when applied collectively have a huge impact on the environment. It is indeed imperative for coworking spaces to opt for the rudimentary steps and stringently act upon them. The coworking space solutions provider iKeva is one such organization that makes a conscious effort to involve the community in its endeavor to choose a sustainable coworking space. Uniformly across all its centers in Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Mumbai, iKeva has consciously opted for reducing the use of plastic and paper coupled with saving electricity. For functional and aesthetic coworking and custom-designed serviced workspaces, iKeva offers its community an engaging environment to thrive and enhance productivity.