The most important part of cycling is maintaining your safety and carrying the right equipment. We understand your passion about going on the ride but keeping yourself safe.
It is crucial to invest in the best affordable bike helmet in the market to ensure your protection in unfavourable circumstances. You must consider various factors while picking up a helmet.
Table of Contents
What is the anatomy of a helmet?
There are many elements of a helmet that makes it special. Some vital features are:
- Ventilation: To ensure this, you need to know the volume and number of vents
- Retention: The style used to strap the helmet and keep it intact to your head
- Padding: The amount of material used in the padding, washable and hygienic
- Weight: This is important as your helmet should not be too heavy to make your ride tiring
- Reflectivity: It will help riders to be visible in low light
- Protection: There are technical solutions that help to keep your head safe
- Carapace: The outer shell of the helmet must be strong
How to know the perfect fit for the best bike helmet?
Getting the right fit is essential as we have different shapes and sizes that need to be taken into account. Let us look at the various factors that will help you to pick up the best bike helmet:
Brands typically have small, medium, and large sizes, differing for every brand. You need to measure the circumference of your head and know the helmet’s sizing to get the correct fitting. It should be snugly enough to hang on your head without any retention system when you try the helmet.
It is not something many brands will be displaying. Each brand designs the helmet based on common head shapes. It is possible to take trials to understand if you need a round, broad, or narrow-shaped helmet for your head.
You need to understand the retention system under your chin. When you fit it properly, it should still have a space of two fingers between the strap and your chin. Also, it should make a V-Shape under your ears and remain secure in place.
Mechanism to Tighten
Many helmets have a secondary retention system that helps protect the inner shell. This helps build a snug fit, which gives you comfort and stability during your rides. It is crucial that your shell shape is correct and not rely on the tightening mechanism.
People with long hair need to consider a port for their hair. The port is designed at the rear to accommodate a pony without affecting the helmet’s safety.
Be mindful to consider the pressure of the helmet on your head. There should not be any uneven pressure through the helmet on your head. If it does, you might have chosen the wrong size or shape of the helmet for your head.
What are the different styles of helmets used for cycling?
- Mountain Bike: They have extra coverage. When you ride on the road, there are fewer chances of crashes. But in the case of mountains, it could be from anywhere. This means you need more coverage on your head and full face, including chin and mouth. Invest in the best budget mountain bike helmet that is strong and provides extra safety to your head. There are convertible helmets that give you the freedom to remove the chin guard.
- Road Bike: Here, the coverage is more focused on the sides and front of the helmet. Some premium helmets use carbon fibre material to keep them strong and lightweight. It also ensures ventilation for the air to be guided over the head and keep it cool.
- Triathlon: This is a cycling event that is all about aerodynamics. The riders have to maintain a position to take advantage. The modern-day helmets have their tails cut off, allowing the riders to make greater head moves without affecting the aerodynamics. Ensure that it has ventilation.
- Commuting: They are basic as they do not have to deal with aerodynamics or heat dissipation. There are fewer vents that are more subtle and less sporty.
- BMX: They are specifically made full-face helmets with extra protection for the chin, mouth, and face. It should provide good coverage with limited ventilation. They are simple, cost-effective, and durable.
What are the benefits of getting the best affordable bike helmet?
You can also explore the bicycle accessories online to get the below benefits of a quality helmet:
Head injury is the main cause of long-term fatalities and disabilities in accidents. Wearing a quality helmet decreases the risk of fatal head injuries.
Cycling on roads is risky as there can be unintentionally made mistakes by you or someone else. Wearing a helmet with reflective strips increases cyclists’ visibility on the road. A bright colour helmet will allow others to see you clearly during the daytime.
It is not advised to ride during the worst weather conditions, but it can be unpredictable sometimes. The helmet will protect you from sun, hail, and rain if you travel long distances. It also ensures to keep your head warm in cold temperatures and cool in hot temperatures.
The Final Tip!
When you get the best affordable bike helmet, it must fit snugly and not tightened. There should be freedom of movement instead of choking your head. Maintain your cool and style by exploring the best helmet collection online.